Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

MAC Cosmetics

So I decided that my first real topic will be about MAC Cosmetics, and my love for make-up.
Let's start at the beginning, I have been using make-up since I was around 14 years old. At first I was only using lipstick and lip gloss. When I was about 15/16 years old I went to a modelling and refinement class, there I learned some basics about foundation, eyeshadow and so on. Back then my brand of choice was Revlon, I was using their foundation, eyeshadow and their liquid eyeliner. I still use the liquid eyeliner today since I do not like using kohl pencils because I can't get the line to be thin enough and liquid eyeliner stays put all day long. By the time I was studying abroad I was experimenting with different eyeshadow application from smokey eye to an everyday look. Today I can say that I am confident about my eye shadow application abilities.

Then in November of 2009 I found out I had a wedding to go to in July 2011, in February I received another wedding invitation also for July, for both I was the maid of honor thus soon my costs were getting higher because in the end I had 3 weddings to attend. That is when I decided I will pay to do my hair but not my make up. So I did a little googling about which brands look professional and so on because there were a few things I have not conquered completely yet which are foundation, powder and blush. My everyday look required liquid eyeliner, some eyeshadow, mascara and lipstick or lip gloss, so I don't use foundation etc.

That is when I discovered MAC Cosmetics and their brushes, I was amazed by what I saw and was excited to buy some. There was only one
little problem, MAC Cosmetics is expensive, but I didn't want to pay someone to do my makeup. A lot of times they do not match the foundation to my actual skin color so then you have an orange face or a darker/lighter foundation than I actually am cause I have fair skin. My google research brought me to some famous youtuber which only grew my interest even further. When I saw videos by the famous youtuber and blogger Miss Chievous and another known youtuber Richie Nickel, they broaden my knowledge about which brushes were good etc. I found a great website called Lushious Beauty where they had a lot of tips about MAC on their forum. My first purchase was in July a week before one of the weddings! I went with my boyfriend and the MAC makeup artist was really nice and did my whole face. She used the 130 brush to apply the Mineralize Skinfinish SPF 15 foundation in NC20, she first asked which foundation I wanted to use, I love cream foundation, HATE liquid foundation. She then put Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in the shade Medium Plus and Mineralize Blush in Warm Soul. By the end I bought them all including the brushes number 217, 219, 130 and 129SH and also their brush cleanser. Eyeshadow colors I decided prior to going there which ones I wanted based on misschievous recommendations and my own personal choice. I know I should have bought them sooner to test putting on the makeup with brushes since I have never done this before but the months prior were used to buy clothes, bags and shoes for the weddings. I went the next day again to buy some more brushes (the 187 and 182 - the kabuki brush) and one eyeshadow I forgot to buy the day before. I started playing with the makeup a few days before one of the weddings, at first I had difficulty doing the eyeshadows as perfect as I did with regular sponge applicator but soon I got the hang of things. I couldn't believe all these years I didn't know about all this. I also started using an eye primer so the eyeshadow will last longer. Alot of these things I learned from makeup books and youtube videos.

After the weddings I kept buying more MAC products and now I have a small stash of items also some limited edition items and the famous Stereo Rose Mineralize Skinfinish. I am planning to buy more but this makeup brand is expensive and I am still only a student. But my list keeps growing, it's a little bit addictive but oh so fun!

On Sunday I bought Heartless Lipstick, Vainglorious eyeshadow and Sweet Joy eyeshadow from the MAC Venomous Villains Collection. I wanted to buy the My Dark Magic Mineralize Eyeshadow Duo but it was sold out. I am so happy with my purchases!

In retrospect I can't believe I didn't know about MAC sooner! I have always been interested in make up, from my group of friends I am the only one with such a collection. It looks that after all these years I have been living under a rock! But this is all going to change now! :)

Hope you enjoyed reading,
Alexa